Forums  ›  Romz  ›  InSearchOf

New (unemulated) Galaxian (part II?) bootleg found

Discussion, screenshot, and link to ROMS: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/galaxian-part-ii-bootleg-not-in-mame.522483/

20230515_144105.jpg462.2K20 views
Galaxian-Part-II.zip9K30 downloads

Thanks for the attachments (link timed out).

KLOV has been having site issues.  It's back up now.  

Updated ROM dump attached.  In the first file I provided there was a bad dump for one of the roms.  

In this updated dump, the code and color roms are identical to the galap4 roms.  The only changes are in the graphics roms.

The company that made this boot (International Scientific) got sued into oblivion with their assets seized so it's fairly rare.  More information, including news clippings of the company and the lawsuits, at the original link:  https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/galaxian-part-ii-bootleg-not-in-mame.522483/#post-4675249

More about the lawsuit:  https://ia803208.us.archive.org/15/items/cashbox43unse_30/cashbox43unse_30.pdf 

Rename the attached file to galap4.zip and it'll work in MAME (click through the checksum warning).

-Mc

galap2.zip11.2K31 downloads

Thanks for the extra info. I'm not a member there, so navigation wasn't so easy.

I understand you can't sign up there unless you're invited or somesuch.

Thanks for the extra info. I'm not a member there, so navigation wasn't so easy.

I understand you can't sign up there unless you're invited or somesuch.

REALLY?!  That's crazy.  I've been a lurking member there for a LONG time and I don't think it was that way when I joined.  

What sucks is they had a server crash at some point last night/today and a LOT of the technical info was lost in the restore.  Luckily someone archived it and Conrad has been piecing back the thread.  

The thread link posted above is slowly gaining all of the information back but the ROM file I most recently posted (galap2) is the accurate set.  I prefer it to galap4 (which it shares most of the ROMS with).  

-Mc

Interestingly enough, part 3 has also been found, and is also not emulated in MAME (yet).

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/new-undocumented-galaxian-roms-midway-prototype.486731/

Link contains technical info as well as the roms.  

Part 3 roms also attached here...

galap3.zip10.2K27 downloads

I've had a part3 romset for a while, and i was going to investigate it soon. Maybe it's the same as what you posted - we'll soon see.

Really nice pt 4 turns up then pt 3 & then instruction card for pt 3, what will be next ? that's the great thing about arcade pcb's but there's always someone that does a hack & says not in MAME so that's where it gets hard to say it's a bootleg from back in the day or a hack done recently.

Thanks for info & sharing

I do know the recently found part 2 was sold as a commercial game (the company got sued for it and the cabinets confiscated).  The part 3 is also from boards but I haven't seen the boards, just the rom images.  But it looks like we do now have the boots of 2, 3, and 4 now.  So that's cool because there are gameplay as well as graphics changes.

galap2 has been added to next HBMAME. It's identical to galap4 except for some graphical differences.

(ship is changed - same as some other galaxian variant ; ship explosion is different ; and of course the manufacturer name is changed to GX PART II).

Cool thanks! 

If it helps, that thread for Galap3 has pics of the Midway boards and pics of the ROMS so it looks like an official boot as well.  If you rename it to Galaxian it works fine in MAME.  It has 3 "new" ROMS in the .zip file.

-Mc  

It isn't really Part 3, it just says III on the screen, so I called it Galaxian III (galaxian3).

It's now been added too.

On the 3rd screen it showed a mothership above each column, so 10 of them instead of the usual 2.

Maybe other versions do that too - I don't know. I'm terrible at most games.

Now they are in MAME, so will be removed from HBMAME.

Now they are in MAME, so will be removed from HBMAME.

I'm sorry you went through all the trouble of adding it for us but thank you for taking the time to do it.  It's very much much appreciated.  

-Mc

Forums  ›  Romz  ›  InSearchOf