Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

What are your favorite MAME/Arcade games?

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to know what are some of your favorite arcade games on MAME?

My top two rail guns right now are CarnEvil and Terminator 2 Judgement Day. Close behind is Area 51 (I'm sure Site 4 is great but still having issues compiling it correctly). House of The Dead games are a lot of fun too.  I have THOTD3 as a stand alone separate from MAME as I haven't been able to get THOTD to run right, well specifically the later ones. 

With fighting games I'm going with the Mortal Kombat franchise (on MAME its MK, MKII, MK3, Ultimate MK3, and MK4). Then it's the Street Fighter games and Killer Instinct. I do really like the Darkstalkers games too. I was so happy to beat Mortal Kombat, so then I was all cocky and started up MKII, and boy did it kick my ass, even on easy! Oh, I can't forget Time Killers and Blood Storm, they are just hilarious but great! Soul Caliber is pretty awesome but seems to be kinda slow? I'll have to get the other ones eventually. 

Way of The Warriror is fun too, but I actually haven't gotten that to work on MAME, it's a 3D0 again and was able to run it on Retro Arch but not MAME for some reason. There's lots I know but even more I don't know with MAME. 

Arcade racing games on MAME, well, I'm just not really sure yet as I use a laptop and my mouse so the controls take a bit to get right and really, I haven't had the best of luck playing the Cruising games and the Rush games I'm pretty sure I'm missing things for them. 

On a different type of game, Tron is a lot of fun!

Anyway the above it just a snap shot of the games I enjoy playing. 

What are some of your favorite arcade games on MAME?

Sunset Riders laughing (and Burger Time)

Mr. Do! is fun (at least to me), Bagman, Elevator Action, Bubble Bobble and Berzerk

The one's are not dumped/emulated yet. laughing

Prop Cycle.

I've always thought TARG was an underappreciated gem.

TARG

NBA Hangtime / Maximum Hangtime

• 1-on-1 sports : Arch Rivals (cheesy basketball game) and Windjammers (frenetic squash style game)
  • 4 players Beat 'em all : COW Boys of Moo Mesa, Gauntlet 2, Golden Axe 2, TMNT2
  • 1-2 players Run 'n' Gun : Alien Syndrome and Metal Slug 3
  • Classic maze : Lady Bug (I recommend the Colecovision version which has a bonus level missing from the arcade)
  • Fight : Hyper Street Fighter II (purists will tell me that this is not the most balanced iteration of this classic, but when my buddies and I organize a tournament, the incredible choice of characters adds an extra strategic edge)
  • Invaders : Gyruss
  • Platformer : Joe & Mac, Lode Runner
  • Racing : Great 1000 Miles Rally 2, TX1
  • And many more...

Some nice choices there!

I like arcade shooters mostly but there are some retro ones I like:

WWF Wrestlefest
Terminator 2
Virtua Cop Series
Time Crisis Series
House of the Dead Series
Police 24/7
Outrun
Line of Fire
Operation Wolf
TMNT
Bad Dudes vs Dragon ninja

Out of all of these I have only been able to run Wrestlefest on MAMA perfectly...
Time Crisis I can run and play using the Ultimarc Aimtrak Lighgun but the sound has some echo.
Everything else either I can't find or it won't load any pictures.

If anyone has any links to the complete files of these games or knows a romset they are in then I'd be super duper appreciative if you point me in the right direction! I'm new here as I was originally on reddit asking for help but there are some proper MAME snobs on there but one kind user inboxed me to try this forum for help.