Forums  ›  Emulators: Others  ›  General

Pcem gravis ultrasound emulation?

Hey all, it been a while since lately ive been wondering about the gravis ultrasound emulation, has anyone of you ever gotten a successful installation done or a workaround the problem? on my end and im using version 14, it gets stuck at the sound blaster and roland testing part and freeze's the 'computer' anyone got a clue why?

Hello!

I have the same problem.

Try to disable EMS memory drivers,like  the EMM386 line in config.sys or QEMM or make a clean boot disk to start the machine.

Also SBOS will lock up the emulation if EMM386/QEMM or another EMS driver is installed. (I suspect it's is a bug in the emuation)

To create a  bootable floppy disk  follow this steps:   

--(DOS must be 5.0 or higher)-- (Type ver <enter> to see the version number)

1. Create a blank disk from PCem and mount it as A drive

2. Write in DOS: FORMAT A: /S

3. To see If the operation was finished correctly, write dir A: , the COMMAND.COM file must be there.

4. copy HIMEM.SYS file to the floppy image Write:  Copy C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS A: (if you installed DOS on the hard disk)

5. write COPY CON CONFIG.SYS

6. Add

DOS=HIGH

DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS

press F6 or CONTROL+Z to  return to the DOS prompt

7. reboot the emulated PC from the floppy disk.

8. run the install again.

PD:

a. The step N°6 is very important because it free about 64kb of conventional memory, by loading part of DOS in the first 64kb of XMS memory

b. Since you cannot load EMM386, you have no EMS or UMB memory at all.So you cannot load device drivers in upper memory (The 640k-1024k memory region)

The install aplication requires about 570k of conventional ("low") memory, so if better not load the mouse driver, for the reason mentioned above.