Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

MAME Sets & CHDS Question

I know the differences between split, merged and non-merged MAME sets. However, I don’t really understand the MAME Update Packs. I know most people ideally get the split rom sets but wouldn’t having the MAME Update Packs complete set be ideal?

I read that MESS has been integrated into MAME. Does this mean that MESS is no longer required? As in MAME is compatible or better than MESS in every way now? MESS sets/roms are no longer required?

I read that certain sets work best for certain cores (in core information), and MAME emulators but I also read about updating your rom sets. I thought that certain versions of MAME work better than others when it comes to loading specific games is this not true?

As for CHDS, I know there’s a few different sets out there but would you user certain CHD rom packs for certain MAME rom versions? The same goes for the BIOS files do you have to use specific BIOS versions per set? Or can you overwrite your BIOS/CHD files with the newest set?

Anyways, if anyone has any information regarding these matters I’d greatly appreciate the help, thanks. 

Hello, in case you haven't already found your answers, by now, I will try helping you at least regarding the update packs. What they usually contain are only the rom files that have changed from the previous versions. Whenever you see an archive in an update pack (for example: bublbobl.zip), its content is not necessarily the full number of files needed to correctly launch that game, be it either a split, merged or non-merged one. It contains only the files that changed (redumps, dumps of previously undumped chips, etc).

The purpose for all this is to reduce the download size.

In order to make good use of those packs, you need a rom auditer like Clrmamepro. I will link you a page from Launchbox forums, explaining in detail how to use it.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/30220-how-to-update-your-mame-romset-to-a-newer-version-with-clrmamepro/

I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this. Just to be sure, I'll go check and, if needed, remove the link.

I hope it proves to be useful. Regards!