Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

I can't seperate BIOS and game roms in MAME

Hi everyone,

ı downloaded nearly all rom sets for MAME 0.231 version including BIOS, game and CHD roms.

İn the MAME roms directory, I put BIOS roms into the "BIOS" folder, game roms into the "GAMES" folder and CHD roms into the "CHD" folder but my MAME emulator does not see them and I can't start games now.

I inspected several internet sites and found out that I should change the roms directory in Mame.ini file, though I have tried several times I could not do it.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/55018-is-it-possible-to-move-the-mame-bios-files-to-a-separate-folder/

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulationstation/comments/78m6gj/how_to_hide_mame_bios_files_from_the_game_list/

In mame.ini file, under roms section; it is like that; how can I correct it??

# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS

#

readconfig                1

writeconfig               0

#

# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS

#

homepath              .

rompath                 roms; e:\MAME EMULATOR\MAME\roms\BIOS\; e:\MAME EMULATOR\MAME\roms\GAMES\

hashpath               hash

samplepath           samples

artpath                   artwork

When editing, no need to put the full path in.

It should look like this.

Semicolons are delimitators to separate entries.

Period is the root directory.

No slash is needed for folders in the root folder nor at the end of a folder entry but if it's a nested folders. A slash is needed between these nested folders.

The total size of a mame with al the artwork and support files is:

When editing, no need to put the full path in.

It should look like this.

Semicolons are delimitators to separate entries.

Period is the root directory.

No slash is needed for folders in the root folder nor at the end of a folder entry but if it's a nested folders. A slash is needed between these nested folders.

The total size of a mame with al the artwork and support files is:

Thank you so much, though I managed to correct it before your answer.

If you're using CLRMAME, you're likely to run into problems when fixing BIOS files via drag n drop in the scan window. CLR won't respect the directory the BIOS file exists in and just update it in that directory. It creates the BIOS in the default roms directory which will create a mess for you to clean up and cause errors. Unless thats been fixed in recent version, it happens each time I try it. 

To do a custom mame setup like that.

In clrmamepro, yo select add dat fil and select the7z archive with all the mame dats.

Select the dats:bios, devices, chd, roms and samples.

Each of these settings will have to be run seperatly and with the romss dat, there no samples or chd to select and it's a split set.

In settings, when you do bios, the rom path is the folder where the bios roms are located.

Same hols true for the rest of the dats.