Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

Help with HLSL Issues

Hey guys,

I'm having serious problems with HLSL and getting it to work. When I turn it on, audio and video both get really choppy. While I don't really know what I'm doing, I have tried changing the hlsl_enabled to 1 in the ini file as well as downloading and updating drivers for AMD and DirectX. Again, I'm not tech savvy, I've just been trying to do what I've read from my research thus far. But nothing seems to be helping the issue.

So when I've got a game loaded up, as soon as I head to the sliders option in MAME and switch to the hlsl sliders, it all goes tits up, but all the other selectable slider sets seem to work without a problem.

I'm not sure if my system is just garbage or what. I don't really have any idea as to what are considered good components or good specs. I have a 27 in iMac 5k retina display all-in-one, running Windows 10 64-bit via BootCamp. I have an Intel Core i7 6700k processor @ 4.00 GHz, 16 GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon R9 M395 GPU. I have absolutely no idea if any of that is decent, really good, or just trash. Everything is up-to-date as far as drivers go, and I have set the GPU to high-performance when using mame64.exe. I have even changed some settings in my AMD Radeon Settings App. I'm not really sure what I was doing, I was just making the same changes that some people were making in YouTube videos for graphic intensive PC games, assuming that maybe if I cranked everything that would fix the problem.

You should also know, however, that I have no plugins or add ons for MAME. So I don't know if there are some necessary files or directories I need to get/make that allow that help or supplement the use of hlsl. My MAME directory is pretty bare bones other than cheats, hi score, roms, and artwork folders and some additional directories that I got when I downloaded and installed MAMEUI64. But beyond those basic directories, I don't really have anything else for MAME, so perhaps that is the problem.

I have a short minute-and-a-half video of the issue, but I'm not sure if I can attach it to this post in the forum because it obviously displays a rom running in the background to showcase how choppy and stuttery the audio and video get. So if you need to see that, and it if it is ok to attach it to a post, I will for sure do that if it helps.

Anyways, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also, I have read some stuff about DirectX9, but I have DirectX12, so I'm not sure if that is a problem, but most of what I read said that DirectX9 isn't available for Windows 10. So, I don't know if maybe Windows 10 just doesn't do hlsl or what. Ok, anyways, thank you!

From the end of your post...

" Oh and also, I have read some stuff about DirectX9, but I have DirectX12, so I'm not sure if that is a problem, but most of what I read said that DirectX9 isn't available for Windows 10. So, I don't know if maybe Windows 10 just doesn't do hlsl or what. Ok, anyways, thank you!"

DirectX12 works as a suitable substitute for HLSL. I do not think that is any part of the problem you are having. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Also, your machines specifications are waaaayyyyyy better than mine. I only run an i5, 3.6Ghz, with 8gb ram, Windows 10 Dell Inspiron (about 8 years old). I do prefer bgfx with the crt-geom filter. It looks great on my 32" Samsung display, and bgfx with that filter is a great default setting for many MAME games.

Cheers!