Forums  ›  Tools and Dats  ›  ROM-Management

Help Updating using TorrentZipped Files

Hi!

Currently I use ROMVault and qBittorent for my managing, updating, rebuilding, etc. Since using these programs and the magnet links I have had no issue updating sets each month. I generally keep my "unemulated" folder up-to-date, aquired from a variety of sources and then let the Scan ROMs, Find Fixes and Fix ROMs do their magic.

One thing I did notice is the following message on the DAT site :
"All zipfiles in the sets are TorrentZipped.
If you already have a previous set, simply join the new set by pointing at the content of your previous set."

This sounds great; however, I am confused as to how to actually do this. Let's say my HBMAME ROMs are in C:\HBMAME\roms and I open the magnet file in qBittorent. It opens up and shows all the new/updated/changed sets. Everything in this list is TorrentZipped and the same goes for my sets (since I have ROMVault configured to do so). So, when prompted to download, for this magnet/torrent, do I just change my C:\Downloads to C:\HBMAME\roms and the magnet + qBittorent will just, again, do their magic ? or do I have to do some other method, or have to use a DAT ?

In the past, I have just been downloading full update sets and cherry-picking missing ones from the full set; however, I know there is a more proper, correct way to do this using the TorrentZipped options that I am already setup for.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide.

If you only download the update files, you can download them to a ToSort folder of Romvault and then let Romvault rebuild the full set. This is what I do every month.

If you download the full set, you can point the download to the rom-folder of the previous full set and let qBittorrent scan that set, so it only downloads the missing parts.

Because of the nature of Torrentzip you'll already have most parts of the torrent except when you use a merged set.

If eg. one rom in kof2002 of the HBMame merged set changes, you'll have to download ~3 GB as the zip will have completely changed.

Never download an update set to the rom-folder of your full set as it'll overwrite already complete files with files that contain only updated/changed roms.

PS. When you right-click the Fix ROMs icon in Romvault it'll do the Scan ROMs, Find Fixes and Fix ROMs automatically.
https://wiki.romvault.com/doku.php?id=shortcuts

This is great information, thank you ! The shortcut is pretty slick, going to check out the page you linked for more.

I'll make sure I have my monthly backups and then I'll try some different update types with this month's release. I have been a CMPro user since the day is was released, I go back some time. It never really caused me any problems, but recently I started to think it was overly complicated. After some searching I came across ROMVault and did my first monthly update using it in January (and every month since).

There is no looking back and I feel it is far superior and easier to use than CMPro. The only think I keep CMPro installed for now is after ROMVault updates and everything is "0 missing", I use CMPro in "Remove sourcefiles without rebuilding" mode against my ToSort folders - this helps me keep my "skooniez" (old timers will remember that FTP) folder a little more clean (backups enabled to be safe). I haven't figured out if ROMVault can do that or has that feature built-in.

RomVault cleans up a ToSort folder if it's unlocked.

When RomVault finds a rom that's in an unlocked ToSort folder and in a romset, it'll delete the rom in that ToSort folder.

To unlock a ToSort folder you have to left-click the lock in the checkbox; right-clicking that checkbox sets the lock and makes that ToSort folder read-only. https://wiki.romvault.com/doku.php?id=tosort_directories

It's best to have a full backup of the romsets before rebuilding them.