Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  TechTips

Having problems with the new MAME 0.252

I don't know what is going on, never had this problem with MAME before over the years, but with the new 0.252 update, whenever I click on a game, any game, it just gives me a black screen for several minutes, then boom, crashes. Even tried to clean install it, same thing. Luckily, I still had the file for 0.251, and was able to go back to that, which still works, but if anyone could help me with getting 0.252 working, that would be great. Thank you.

Maybe are the latest changes to bgfx.... Lately mame is breaking more things that it fixes.

Retro Danuart Youtube

Maybe are the latest changes to bgfx.... Lately mame is breaking more things that it fixes.

Any ideas on how I can fix that on my end?

Disable bgfx, and start over again with your favorite configtongue-out

Disable bgfx, and start over again with your favorite configtongue-out

How do I do that? I'm guessing it in the video mode, which is currently set to auto.

Exactly, or edit mame.ini:

#

# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS

#

video                     direct3d or opengl

Retro Danuart Youtube

#

# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS

#

I appreciate the help, but you're going to have to explain more please. I'm not seeing any files called mame.ini.

#

# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS

#

Ah, you were on the right track, I just didn't know how to make a mame.ini. Luckily searching deep into Google, and found out how. The direct3d didn't work, but changing it to opengl, and boom, it worked. Thank you for at least leading me in the right direction.

#

# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS

#

Ah, you were on the right track, I just didn't know how to make a mame.ini. Luckily searching deep into Google, and found out how. The direct3d didn't work, but changing it to opengl, and boom, it worked. Thank you for at least leading me in the right direction.

Yes the ini files is created when you change something, not with a fresh install. You can do the cahange at the ui too, but I don't remember well where :)

Retro Danuart Youtube

To create a new mame.ini file, go to your text program (notepad on windows) and type:

mame -cc

Then save it as a file with a .cmd extension

That will create a program that you can just run on every new release provided it is in the same mame folder you extract the new version to.  It is just a command mame uses to create a config file.  But I do this on every release because everytime they change something major then it may add parameters that mame needs.  If you only extract the new mame file and use an old mame.ini you will probably run into problems.  Also each time you update mame, and create a new config file, make sure to go in and put the basics in like the directory locations and whatever specific things you normally run your mame with.

I've also attached the file below if you pop it into your mame directory and run it, I typically move the old mame.ini out before I run this one to create a new file.  I can also use the program beyond compare to see the differences between the 2 mame.ini files for each version to see what new things they've added to the config file.  That also makes it easy for me to go in and change the things I keep set (like directories, inputs and resolution) for the new file.

Create INI.cmd12B7 downloads

Anyone else getting a weird glitch when playing pacman or puckman? For example, it changes the puzzle whenever pacman dies. Anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks so much, building a system for my youngest daughter, with VSmile roms etc.... 
So downloaded the latest mame... and it continuously crashed with exceptions... 
This was the solution.
Emulation is a minefield sometimes

The input and bgfx code has been rewritten the last month, so a lot of crash are expected. You can report your issues at mametesters.org

Retro Danuart Youtube

I'm having a different problem with MAME .252, whenever I create a snapshot of a game (by pressing F12 while the game is running), MAME insists on creating snap\gamename\0000.png instead of snap\gamename.png. I have repeatedly checked that the setting is correct in mame.ini (snapname %g), which it is, but it is ignored.

If I save settings and then check mame.ini, the setting is changed to %g\%i. If I change it back to %g it has no effect, mame just keeps ignoring it.

Anybody else seeing this?

Everything works fine on my end. Always make sure you create a new MAME.ini. -cc

I did it, stil mame ignores the setting