Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

using the downloads link here

I was wondering how to use the downloads here I'm trying to get a few roms but when I click one it prompts me for a username and password.
if I don't enter one it says I'm banned for 24 hours.  Am I missing something? I mean there is no info sticky or anything about it. Is it just broken or do they not let people download without a special membership or something?

Why don't you enter your username and password?

https://www.retroroms.info/forum/topic/Downloads.htm

so it is the same as the username password for these boards?  why does it ask for one if I'm already logged in?

well seems that the current ROMs listed in the downloads still are out of date and doesn't work.
I tried all forms of Marvel Superheroes and they all had missing files.

gives the error qsound is missing on a few of them and there is a whole list of missing files on the others.

The current roms are up-to-date.

There are already 5 threads asking for the qsound rom: https://www.retroroms.info/forum/?action=goto&search_result=1&text=qsound&type=msgs&forum=0&u=&disp=posts&start=0

I can't guess which other roms are missing in your set.

if I could take a screenshot I would but MAME is invisible to the computer when I do it just screenshots my desktop.

and as for missing qsound... if they don't work and require ANY files, they are not up to date.
if we can't download and play them on the spot, they DON'T WORK.
I suggest whomever runs that download link do a basic download of Mame 0.208 without any modifications then test each game out, if it doesn't play remove it from the download link OR provide a big patch in the main Mame Folder we can download that will fix the general Mame program so that all games will work with it.

not all of us that play PC games are programmers nor do we wish to learn programming to get the program to work and KEEP working. some of us just want to play the games and hate it when nothing works right.

I suggest that you learn how Mame works.

The set that you can download here for free is non-merged, the default setting of most rom managers.

not all of us that play PC games are programmers nor do we wish to learn programming to get the program to work and KEEP working.
  • Fact 1:
    Not everyone who wants to drive a car needs to know how a car works or how to drive it,
    as long as there is someone who can drive the car.

• Fact 2:
    Those who want to drive themselves do not necessarily know how a car works, as long as
    the one who knows the difference between: clutch, accelerate or brake.

• Fact 3:
    Those who can repair a car (inevitably) also know how to drive it.

• To. Fact 1 (compared to your status of experience)
    You do not need to know how a PC works or how MAME runs properly because you can
    look like someone playing MAME.

• To. Fact 2 (compared to your status of experience)
    You do not need to know how to write programs, but you need to know how MAME is built,
    works and how to use it. You will need to look into this topic to know the difference between:
    different MAME versions, ROM versions and ROM managers.

• To. Fact 3 (compared to your status of experience)
    You need to know (inevitably how MAME works) so you can fix it.

I do not want to form an opinion on the current state of your knowledge but: googling,
reading instructions and gathering informations should anyone who can use a browser.

There are hundreds of pages that provide this information and are just waiting to be researched by you.
I hope you do not misunderstand this now. It's just a suggestion.

best regards

@Dragnmastralex: Feel free to test ALL MAME games yourself, keep us informed when you have done it ;-)

We do update our rom folder based on the XML- dat file (mame64.exe -listxml >mame-0208.xml). I have no clue what you are missing. You can check your game in the XML-file and see which roms/samples are required  to run. Keep in mind that not all games does run .......

Our rom folder have splitted roms -> https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

Why does download links ask you again for username/password? Because it is a separate NAS and has nothing to do with the webpage.

The set here is indeed split (the default), not non-merged like I said before.

not all of us that play PC games are programmers nor do we wish to learn programming to get the program to work and KEEP working.
  • Fact 1:
    Not everyone who wants to drive a car needs to know how a car works or how to drive it,
    as long as there is someone who can drive the car.

• Fact 2:
    Those who want to drive themselves do not necessarily know how a car works, as long as
    the one who knows the difference between: clutch, accelerate or brake.

• Fact 3:
    Those who can repair a car (inevitably) also know how to drive it.

• To. Fact 1 (compared to your status of experience)
    You do not need to know how a PC works or how MAME runs properly because you can
    look like someone playing MAME.

• To. Fact 2 (compared to your status of experience)
    You do not need to know how to write programs, but you need to know how MAME is built,
    works and how to use it. You will need to look into this topic to know the difference between:
    different MAME versions, ROM versions and ROM managers.

• To. Fact 3 (compared to your status of experience)
    You need to know (inevitably how MAME works) so you can fix it.

I do not want to form an opinion on the current state of your knowledge but: googling,
reading instructions and gathering informations should anyone who can use a browser.

There are hundreds of pages that provide this information and are just waiting to be researched by you.
I hope you do not misunderstand this now. It's just a suggestion.

best regards

if you really want to make the car comparison it would be like buying a car... they just didn't bother to hook up the battery and the tires aren't on it.  they provide all the hoses under the hood you just have to check the manual to see where they go and which ones connect to each part.  if you get any of them wrong the car still won't work. you know how to put the tires on because that's basic function and the battery is straight forward, so it will roll now and some of the hoses may be correctly hooked up so you may get lucky the car may start and go but not all the features may work... like you may not have breaks and you may not be able to use power steering. But hey you don't have to be a mechanic.

I would just want to jump in the car and drive, just like I would just like to open the emulator and play.

just because you guys know how to research each game and know how to find what files you need, how to plug them in, and then how to make the emulator recognize them doesn't mean that everyone does and not everyone can.  I've tried to get my games to work and many times they are sealed files behind file formats I don't know how to change or even look at.  I don't have the special programs or editors you have that allows you to do this kind of thing nor am I interested in taking the time to do it all. by the time I get a game and get it to work I have no time to play it anymore.

MAME just sucks and so does the whole entire idea behind the fix it yourself emulator because you never know what's wrong unless you freaking program everything from scratch or research online so long you earn a doctors degree from it.  I don't want to be a freakin programmer or software editor, JUST a gamer. I don't want to hear "its all there you just have to look for it and figure it out yourself"  You wouldn't want to hear that from your brain surgeon would you? yeah so no I'm going to pass on this.  PS2's emulator was just plug and play none of the ROMS had to be edited or fixed with the emulator and the games that didn't work came with a patch that you just placed in the rom folder and it instantly worked, no editing files or finding missing code, or downloading the correct version of the program. you just got the BIOS and downloaded the language version you wanted.  Why can't MAME be like PCSX?

MAME just sucks

Then don't use it and stop complaining.

Why can't MAME be like PCSX?

Because an emulator for just one system is not as complex as an emulator for thousands of systems.

It sounds like MAME isn't your cup-of tea. You could try using dedicated emulators for now, and once you have some experience with them, consider going back to using MAME. Maybe the exposure to simpler emulators can make it easier for you to understand how MAME (and emulators) work.

Cheers!