Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  TechTips

forcing an aspect ratio to fit a widescreen...

Hey guys...

Well, I once had MAME working perfectly, but then I had to format my computer, and haven't been able to get it back to speed.

I remember I had a frontend which I used to force the aspect ratio for Arkanoid. Then it probably saved the .cfg file, and everytime I opened MAME, I had to open arkanoid first (I wasn't using the frontend any more), so then the configuration worked for every other rom in my library (it was probably a "forced bug", but it worked back then)... go figure.

I tried manually editing any game .cfg file (and change it to 16:9), but it doesn't work... I want to intentionally stretch the graphics to fill the whole widescreen (and eliminate the "black bars"). I really don't mind that the graphics will look weird when stretched out, 'cause it's obviously the wrong aspect ratio. I wanna force it. Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.  

Change in mame.ini keepaspect from 1 to 0

# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
keepaspect                0

Thanks for the reply... Like, in the meantime I found out (it was a few years ago) that I used MameUI (FX) to set up the games. But back then I also found out about that (HQ) Mame that uses the xBRZ filter and never turned back (before I had to format my PC, that is)...

Weirdly enough, the guy that made it just provides the files (I think it's version 0.170 of MAME) without an .ini folder... So I pretty much imported the specific .ini files from the games I did (again) on MameUI to find about the .ini file parameters (like the one you mentioned and "aspect0", for example).

Aspect ratio solved, then I also had to tamper with nVidia control panel to set stuff specifically to his own .exe file like triple buffering, v-sync and texture filtering. Thankfully, it fixed. Before it was stuttering like crazy (and it's not my computer setup, as MAME UI was working fine as opposed to HQ MAME, so one can blame the graphic filter).

Anyways, thanks again.