Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  TechTips

Questions about CHDs

I am currently trying to get CPS3 games to run on MAME and this requires CHDs for each game.  Usually when I encounter CHDs they have the proper MAME file name along with the chd file extension name.  Here in the Retroroms CHD directory is seems that all the files were extracted out of the CHD file and listed separately.

Will MAME run the games with the files in this format?  It would seem it will look for the exact file name and extension for the CHD, no different from how it looks for other rom files under their specified MAME file names.

Don't hate, emulate!

The CHD is inside those rar files. You just need to extract them with eg. 7-zip.

I extracted them, ran a scan, and MAME says bad SHA-1. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I am pretty sure others on this site can get CPS3 games to run on MAME using the CHDs from this site...I guess undecided

Don't hate, emulate!

for what MAME version? What game/CHDname? ......then I can check it ;-)

I ran the scan on the most current version of MAME 0.217 for Street Fighter III: New Generation (Euro 970204), Street Fighter III Second Impact: Giant Attack (USA 970930), Street Fighter III Third Strike: Fight for the Future (Euro 990608), and Red Earth (Euro 961121). These are the parent roms and the file needed with each game's corresponding CHD checks out good.

Don't hate, emulate!

I have tested Street Fighter III: New Generation (Euro 970204) for MAME 0.217

In the XML-Output is:

<machine name="sfiii" sourcefile="cps3.cpp">

<description>Street Fighter III: New Generation (Euro 970204)</description>

<year>1997</year>

<manufacturer>Capcom</manufacturer>

<rom name="sfiii_euro.29f400.u2" size="524288" crc="27699ddc" sha1="d8b525cd27e584560b129598df31fd2c5b2a682a" region="bios" offset="0"/>

<disk name="cap-sf3-3" sha1="20aa46f8ffeb235205dc95cfd8fba42c7d102355" region="scsi:1:cdrom" index="0" writable="no"/>

I have tested on the server with chdman the cap-sf3-3.chd, here is the output:

[mucciadmin@server .temprmu]$ chdman verify -i cap-sf3-3.chd

chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.146 (Jul 31 2016)

Raw SHA1 verification successful!

Overall SHA1 verification successful!

[mucciadmin@server .temprmu]$ chdman info -i cap-sf3-3.chd

chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.146 (Jul 31 2016)

Input file:   cap-sf3-3.chd

File Version: 5

Logical size: 55,794,816 bytes

Hunk Size:    19,584 bytes

Total Hunks:  2,849

Unit Size:    2,448 bytes

Total Units:  22,792

Compression:  cdlz (CD LZMA), cdzl (CD Deflate), cdfl (CD FLAC)

CHD size:     35,173,219 bytes

Ratio:        63.0%

SHA1:         20aa46f8ffeb235205dc95cfd8fba42c7d102355

Data SHA1:    1156ae04c4dd6dfa67ce110634ccd46bb6881b8d

Metadata:     Tag='CHT2'  Index=0  Length=92 bytes

TRACK:1 TYPE:MODE1_RAW SUBTYPE:NONE FRAMES:22792 PREGAP:0 PG

ok and now it is your turn!

Everything checks out on your end. In order for me to verify your results, I need a not too technical explanation of how you scanned and verified the CHD  for Street Fighter 3.  I had MAME run a standard games list audit using Emu Loader v8.8.2, but I don't know how to use the chdman tool to verify the CHDs I have.

Don't hate, emulate!

I have shorten your reply ;-)

Lets go thru your questions:

- I need a not too technical explanation of how you scanned and verified the CHD  for Street Fighter 3

Its not too technical, I have used the tools that MAME has included: mame64.exe and chdman.exe

In the first step Im checking what information MAME is given me for this game with "-listxml". I have only pasted the important part of it to have the information what chd is needed and the checksum for this chd-file.

Second step is using "chdman.exe" to check the file (Verify) if it is ok. The next step is to show me the information about this chd-file (info).

This information (SHA1) I have compared with the information that MAME provides with "-listxml". 

- How does MAME know which game it can emulate? Right it has the information for that:

"mame64.exe -listxml" gives you the information. All games with all the roms and chds are listed there for each game. It includes also checksum SHA1/CRC for checking a file if it is the right one.

In the folder "hash" are the softwarelists for systems. Example: Mame can emulate the C64. For this system they have tested software added in a software list. This lists are added to the folder "hash", example C64 Cassettes Software are in "c64_cass.xml"

- I had MAME run a standard games list audit using Emu Loader v8.8.2, but I don't know how to use the chdman tool to verify the CHDs I have.

In the background Emuloader also uses the "-listxml" parameter for MAME to verify the roms/CHD for a game. Thats the reason that you must "refresh" Emuloader when you are adding a new MAME. Emuloader has it own verify-tool to check the information from the output -listxml" against all files.

I have written a guide covering some topics for MAME -> mameguide.info

I have the CHDs found on this site along with some I found on another site in the rom directory.  MAME should be able to find the ones that check out good during a scan right?

Don't hate, emulate!

roms and CHDs have to be in a rompath otherwise MAME would complain when you start the game

roms and CHDs have to be in a rompath otherwise MAME would complain when you start the game

I got Street Fighter 3: New Generation to work.  I will try the other games I listed and let you know if they work too.  I ran a different scan in Emu Loader and the CHDs checked out good.

Don't hate, emulate!

Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact: Giant Attack and Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike: Fight For The Future also both work and run the normal CPS3 boot up process.  Now this is where things get weird. Red Earth will not run its clone Warzard runs just fine.  Red Earth is listed as the parent ROM of Red Earth. I thought that clones cannot work unless the parent ROM also works.  It gets even more weird. The parent ROM JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Mirai e no Isan AND its clone JoJo's Bizarre Adventure don't work despite of the fact that MAME lists all required files as being present.

Don't hate, emulate!