Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

Newb help dependancys or alt/updated versions

MAME/Neo Geo, are the alphabetical letters after a rom title dependencies? Or are they like revisions? File size generally tells me dependencies. But I figured I'd check. I'm assuming you need all of them for things to work properly? Oh and what's with all the different Metal Slug filenames? All I understand is 2 turbo everything else has no inferred meaning to anyone else outside the club. I haven't found any answers for these across my searches, so I'm here to ask.  Is there a key/manual/whatever you call it, for this anywhere, or can one be made. It'd help the newbies out and make things less confusing.

Dependencies....

- BIOS Files
- Device Files
- Parent Sets
- Clone Sets

BIOS files are required for a lot of games to run, such as NEOGEO.ZIP, which is required to play Metal slug and all other NEOGEO games in MAME. (Example) You can find the BIOS files within MAME by clicking on the cat BIOS. this lists all the BIOS files
download these first !

Device Files are small files that emulate hardware devices, some games require these but are not easily sorted out. On an Audit you may get something like
xxxxx.xxx NOT FOUND (Mia)
Mia is a device driver, download the mia.zip and place in roms folder. ANY file in (Brackets) is what the emulator is looking for, this should be your download to get game working.
Device drivers are a real pain as no one ever sorts them out, and the emulator never tells you about them...

Parent sets. These are what the MAMEDev class as the FULL game code, meaning it will run if you have the "Other files" such as bios and Devices. (If required)

Clone Set. Basically, these sets only contain the changed data, different roms, but the main data is required from the Parent set to make it work.

for instance, to play shinobi SET 4
you would need
Shinobi.zip < Main game PARENT
and
Shinobi4.zip to be able to play shinobi Set 4

If you group games The TOP Game will be the PARENT SET

In Shinobi's case the parent set is Shinobi (set 6, System 16A) (Unprotected) shinobi.zip
then everything under this is clones / different regions / language / hacks etc... 

Filesize don't really mean jack in MAME...

Hope this clears some basics up for you

ZX81v2 - R Tape Loading Err0r

You can check on http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/default.php which dependencies (Mame required files) a game has.

Thanks for the reply's. Right now I'm trying to run all roms/ISO's through EmuELEC and as long as the roms are supported such as fbneo  https://github.com/EmuELEC/EmuELEC/wiki/Supported-Platforms-And--Correct-Rom-Path I don't actually have to worry about the bios. EmuELEC runs off of RetroArch, I'm not sure if RetroArch, or the provided emulators on RetroArch, or EmuELEC make that happen(prob working emulator). But as long as the rom is correct for the emulator, it just runs. If not I haven't figured the right pathing with bios or whatever to make it correct. While there's a lot to learn from your answers.
All I want to know is what the a b c's are
[gametitle]
[gametitle]a
[gametitle]b

What does that mean? does A mean part 1? What are the parts? different languages? Content not on the original? In the case of the Metal Slug games, it's literally like they're throwing random letters behind the title that have no actual meaning.
[mslug45]
[mslug45]lol
[mslug45]Q6
[mslug45]hd
Exaggerations of course. But it literally means the same to me either way until someone can tell me what they mean.

I really do appreciate the help, and I clearly have a lot to learn, and I'm not trying to sound rude at al. But I don't feel like I'm any closer to figuring out what I was confused about in the first place.

I mean, I assume "[gametitle]" is parent, and "[gametitle]a" is clone or parts? But does "[gametitle]" need the parts? or do the parts just need the parent?  or is everything like just different from game to game and it's impossible to know without finding a way to "research" what that part/clone is. Does a clone need other clones?

I'm really just trying to understand the community standard of the naming of roms as the first step. lol

You can't figure out parent sets from just files... Use the MAMEUI emulator.
Display games in groups. (this sorts all game clones BELOW the parent set)
Unless you can group the games by rom sets attached, you'll never get things working.
for instance, , the game I know as SLAP FIGHT is actually called ALCON
Slap Fight is a clone/region change

Also sometimes filenames help in no way as depending on how MAME gets updated version to version, filenames change as newer sets for same game are added, or MAMEDev decide to rename everything because they can...

Seriously though, just use the MAMEUI program, you can sort games by PARENTS in the left folder list this will give you the rom names of parent sets

However, this will also include the NONE Working Parent sets...

This is the working games folder. As you can see, 10 yard fight (world,set 1) is the PARENT
Everything below it is a clone/region/hack whatever...
If a game has no TREE it's classed as a Parent Set, like 005, Eleven Beat etc...

If you scroll right you will find a column called ROM Name, from this you can sort the parent sets and know they work.
If for instance a parent set is broken but is required for clones to work, owning just the broken parent, won't make the working clone, work, as it's missing the main files for game.

Unless your a die hard must have everything, I'd stick to the WORKING Games folder first... Remember you need BIOS too (BIOS folder lists these)

hope this helps and don't confuse more.

Oh okay so it is sort of like revisions on other systems as in it's not that easy, Again thanks for the help and taking the time to respond. I'll be sure to pick up that program to help distinguish things. Also yes that has helped to clear things up more, i appreciate it greatly.

But for the most part I seem to be kinda stuck with, if it works out of the box, it works and if not well you're prob just SOL. Like with Saturn(same on Neo Geo) on EmuELEC I tried for so long to get things running with my roms and the bios, but I eventually found that the emulator Saturn uses can't be exchanged due to it being optimal for android/lunix so they don't allow it and the emulator  EmuELEC uses doesn't really need the bios. I found out that my "roms" were just bad for the emulator I was trying to use, So like I know bios matters, but in many ways with the "system" I'm trying to run everything on, i'm a little restricted on what I can do. Besides, I'm not doing this for myself. I'm trying to set it up so that people who are more tech illiterate then me so it's kinda good roms for the most part, need to work out of the box, because they're not going to be able to switch bios outside of the emulator/file if it can even be done in the emulator/EmuELEC. 
This is a WIP version of what emulators need bios, and which don't for EmuELEC. (its a link on the first URL I posted earlier about the supported roms/file types/paths not one I made.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T962LmL0ci7Hs88TZT3iMtqdvzug4tL3ayTb0uoxijQ/edit#gid=0

I'm new to MAME emulation, so I have a lot of trial error and understanding especially with the "system" I'm trying to run them through. But I'll be back for advice if i run in to any roadblocks I cant figure out on my own. I do have to ask tho, on the tags at the end of the clone files under the parents in your pic, is that just the file title names, or are the names supplied by internal data of the file that MAMEUI is displaying? Like on Neo Geo I noticed that the file names had little to nothing to do with the title name displayed in EmuELEC