Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

MAME download binaries and ROMs on the fly

Hello

Now that we have https://archive.org/details/mame-merged and it seems to be kept up to date by some decent chap.

Got me thinking can everything just get grabbed on the fly? no ROM management required.

I know you guys are into collecting ROMs, so kind of the opposite of what you’re in to, but I feel the common man needs a simpler way to run MAME.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Put this partially working POC together if anyone wants a look

https://github.com/sam-ludlow/mame-ao

Cheers

Sam

Idea is nice but you know there is a problem in getting the roms all the times and for the right MAME version ;-)

Download must be exact for the emulator version is needing them, otherwise it fails and the "keep it easy" aspect you want is not guarantied for the user.

I have not tested your "tool" btw.

• Add to Phrasebook

• No word lists for English → English...

• Create a new word list...
  • Copy
  • Add to Phrasebook

• Copy
  • Add to Phrasebook

• Copy

Hello thanks for the input.

Versions are taken care of, the version is taken from the archive.org metadata (in the title) then a new directory is created for each version and the corresponding MAME binaries are downloaded.

What ever machine you want to run the ROMs are copied from the hash store (effectively a cache) anything not in there is downloaded from archive.org.

So each version has its own ROM directory, when there is a version bump it starts empty.

You can delete the old version directories when there is a version bump.

Cheers

Sam

I have tried, really not bad. great idea. I don't have tried it "deeper" and I don't know if all games does work like this easy dkong ;-)

But yeah why not. We will see how does it work on the next version.

DK1.png18.5K14 views
DK2.png462.9K9 views
DK3.png308.7K7 views

Thanks for taking a look.

I've refined it a bit, works like a shell now, just type game name and it starts MAME, so dead easy.

Handles all dependencies now (parent/bios/device) tested quiet a few, not had an issue yet.

Cheers