Forums  ›  Tools and Dats  ›  ROM-Management

MAME Hash Store - New ROM Management Software

Dear Forum

I’d really appreciate it if anyone here can give me some feedback on the following:

https://mame.spludlow.co.uk/MameHashStore.aspx

It’s a ROM store and management strategy / software that takes a different approach.

Intended for serious MAME users, and maybe developers, that want to stay complete and up to date.

I’ve been messing about with the code and using it personally for about 2 years, I thought it was about ready to put out there.

I’m not suggesting you immediately throw out your existing system, but please have a look, and give it some thought.

Cheers

Good idea, like you said it's for power users who are used to cli/shell.

The romsets take up a lot more space because of no compression, using disk compression or deduplication will save some space.
I guess you'll also save space with the duplicates that are in the Software List, eg PC-98 and FMTowns have duplicate chds.

You probably don't need separate drives or partitions when using an (NVMe) SSD drive.
I've been using one for a year to do rebuilds. so there are many writes to the SSD, and the life expectancy of the SSD is still 12 years.

Thanks for the input.

I recon no ROM compression costs about 150GB, which isn't that much at all if you have a lot of CHDs.

Using a small partition for symbolic links only, just makes the monthly update faster, you can format it and re-create all the symbolic links in 10 minutes (deleting the links rather than formatting would take another 10 minutes).

The disk hammer on the actual store is pretty low, once the initial import is done, each month you just add new and delete no longer required.

Cheers