Forums  ›  RetroRoms  ›  Off Topic

How large are fullsets?

While collecting sl-chd's my storage space are drying out. I'm considering getting a new hdd, but can't estimate a good size. So I'm asking what would be the size of the full mame with all sl-chd?

Also, if you guys don't mind share the infos, plz let me know the size of other sets like RD, NI, Tosec, etc... in full. They will be helpful in buying other hdds later.

Thanks.

Get the biggest size you can afford; it will always be too small in the future.

What is RD and NI?

The full Mame-SL CHD set is 2.5 TB, add another TB for the roms, arcade CHD and rollbacks.

TOSEC show on their site that the size is 6.89 TB, but that's uncompressed, I think.

I know what I am about to say will be growled at by some, but RECOMPRESS THE FILES.
Most roms, are REALLY badly compressed using TorrentZip. I use 7-zip on all my Windows
based emulators that support it, due to compression being a ton better.

This MAY seem like a huge job, but you can download programs and scripts to automate the
process of converting zip to 7z, even some rom-mangers do it nowdays...

Example

HB MAME 235 original download of ROMS zips = 23gig (just under)
HB MAME 235 Recompressed ROMS as 7z's = 12Gig

and this result ain't hard to get...

If an emulator supports compression, use it. The speeds ain't bad either on extracting as most
games are tiny compared to modern filesizes...

If you would like help on this, join the RR Discord, and message me.

ZX81v2

HBMAME (latest) is under 7GB once 7zipped on LZMA2=9 and then torrentzipped

mine is 6.53

I know what I am about to say will be growled at by some, but RECOMPRESS THE FILES.

The main problem with 7zip is that it takes ages to update a complete romset to a newer version.

HBMAME (latest) is under 7GB once 7zipped on LZMA2=9 and then torrentzipped

Why torrentzip it after 7zipping? That makes no sense.

@mightyshin98, don't forget that you also need space to backup your sets to because hard disks will fail.

I recompress all zips soon as I download them, using a simple script. And yeah I know they can be SMALLER, I didn't want to mess with decompression time lag, and the results worked good enough for me. Just the fact that people can get them smaller than me, is a proof they are crapply compressed to start with...

As for recompressing a whole romset takes time, yeah, your right, but when you save a TERRABYTES of space , it's not that long a process at all, as you only have to recompress the updates after the main bulk is recompressed. VBA Scripts, even BATCH work for automation of the process,

I knew I'd get some growls... lol, but this is JUST ROMS, CHD's are a waste of time trying to compress more that MAMEDEV

Recompressing saves money on new HDD's (Plus it's smaller to shift around)

Respect

ZX81v2 - Back to original Account :)

I guess I would need, then, 10TB for the mame+sl w/ chds.  You know they fake their size and also need 15% space for the defrag.

If 6.7+TB tosec is uncompressed I guess 6TB hdd may do it, I guess. both gonna cost me big sumtongue-out

For rezipping, it took me about 7~8hour for every 100GB using 7zip, with my old computer. I guess I need better computer too, if I am going to recompress all the files I have..

@noone

RD rdump NI nIntro.laughing

MAME.0.231 = 846 GB [ROM Set Format: Non-Merged]

MAME.0.231 = 846 GB [ROM Set Format: Non-Merged]

That's with the entire SL (Software List) though, the Arcade set only is about 50-60 GB

Wow... I started on MAME 0.28 (MAMENU) with 125 games....
Fitted on a single 600meg CD, with space.....
Thats insane 

You could always try MAME 0.1 - the emulator and all the games together fitted on a single floppy-disk.

You could always try MAME 0.1 - the emulator and all the games together fitted on a single floppy-disk.

Wasn't it a Pac-Man emulator, back then? hehe

I remember trying to using it for the memorandum, but gave up as the romset has a different format and very hard to get, and that was very LONG TIME AGO. I doubt you can get the romset for it now.

Forums  ›  RetroRoms  ›  Off Topic