Forums  ›  RetroRoms  ›  Off Topic

Back on the RetroROMs...

Hello everyone!

I've been away for many, many years due to life and work in general, not to mention a system crash, took me out a few years ago. And I didn't get back into MAME until a week or so ago. Much has changed regarding the start-of-the-art since 2013 when was around the time my desktop's motherboard went kerflooie. Seems like it was worth the wait for me to get back into things. Even I changed through the years.

Well, it was a new notebook computer that really got me back into the emulation stuff. That and MegaTouch XL emulation. And MAME for Droid to play really old MegaTouch machines on. ;-)

So, when things calm down a bit more I'll gut the old desktop and salvage the drives for use in the new desktop. I may wind up rediscovering my ol' collections as well as the tools I've used to optimize the .zip archives and get 'em shared via eMule for the sake of taking some load off of RetroROMs. Unless someone is already doing that.

In the meantime, I'll see what else runs better on a Core i7 8th gen Intel notebook with W10-64bit with 8GB of RAM plus tons of solid-state storage.

Have fun everyone! :-)

eMule? You've really been away a long time. tongue-out

Welcome back.

You got that right! Too, too long away from this fun stuff!

MESS is now merged with MAME, which makes sense (MegaTouch XL 6000 runs on a 486DX4, which is PC hardware which was honed in MESS for emulation, along with the video card and BIOS... but I digress). Now if there was some better parity with MAME for Droid for touchscreens since, interestingly enough, even though the 'droid version is based on an ancient version of MAME its touchscreen support is spot-on for MegaTouch. The current 64-build of MAME has problems with the touchscreen on my notebook (golly, I can even literally draw on this 'puter too using the electronic stylus on the screen... so it can double as a Wacom graphics tablet).

Anyway, I have a seldom-used spare netbook running 32-bit XP Home with 2GB of RAM and an Atom processor. I may have to see how the 32-bit version of the current MAME runs on it.

Have a good one and go Pens! :-)

Forums  ›  RetroRoms  ›  Off Topic