Forums  ›  Romz  ›  InSearchOf

Incorrect PW or DL Exceeded?

So I am limited to what?

I've been away so I suspect these rules are now in effect that it will take me 30 days to get the latest CHD's now that someone in their infinite wisdom cut them up in 300 pieces while at the same time put restrictions on the MEGA download section.

I've been away so I suspect these rules are now in effect that it will take me 30 days to get the latest CHD's now that someone in their infinite wisdom cut them up in 300 pieces while at the same time put restrictions on the MEGA download section.

Great 2nd post.

No one on Retroroms put restrictions on MEGA, it's MEGA who does that.

You can always buy a Basic membership for 30 days on Retroroms, then you can download 500 files per 24 hours.

Thank you for the reply.

However, I could always buy a Usenet account for $10 and get unlimited everything ever posted in the last 3 years.

BTW, We are talking about pretty much just a MAME update here with what was a community sharing effort to maintain the history of emulation but that's OK because I just picked up the 3 missing CHD's elsewhere and it didn't cost me anything other than asking.

Now if you started sharing 10,000 pieces of abondonware or something that's another story but you will still be competing with free sites that care about preservation.

I appreciate the response and with that, I'll stick with what I already have thank you.

Maybe if you asked here instead of complaining about the limits, someone would have uploaded the CHDs too; not on MEGA ofc.

Dude, why not read the post again.  It's not a complaint.

I was going to yak your ear off.

Have a nice day.

Thank you for the reply.

However, I could always buy a Usenet account for $10 and get unlimited everything ever posted in the last 3 years.

BTW, We are talking about pretty much just a MAME update here with what was a community sharing effort to maintain the history of emulation but that's OK because I just picked up the 3 missing CHD's elsewhere and it didn't cost me anything other than asking.

Now if you started sharing 10,000 pieces of abondonware or something that's another story but you will still be competing with free sites that care about preservation.

I appreciate the response and with that, I'll stick with what I already have thank you.

Mikel2000.

If you think Usenet provides better value, why ask this question? Retroroms has always had a system where donations are rewarded with higher limits. You seem to indicate that something has changed?

And as for "cutting up" files, this is by design - not to try to raise income. Larger size files are prone to have failures during downloads (especially those without gold plated internet). If it drops out, people have to start again. By producing smaller sliced files (with md5's), it is possible to just re-download one smaller file if it drops out.

But there is another reason too. When people download a large file - and it consumes resources for a long time and drops out at 99% of the size of that file, that causes extra load on the infrastructure when people "try again". Multiply that by a large number of users, and it just doesn't scale.

So. Lets keep going. The small $5 you complained about. Lets put that into perspective. How much does colocation cost? Add to that earlier this year the cost of an international plane fare, shipping, new router and switch, etc. Do you really think the $5 covers the cost to keep this thing going?

So. Mikel2000. If you think you can run a site like this without any donations, I challenge you to do it. I welcome the competition. On the other hand - if you want to be a benefactor and cover all of our costs on behalf of the rest of the world, that would be equally welcome.

On the assumption you do not want to do either, go back to usenet. Only genuine community attitude is wanted here.

Dude, why not read the post again.  It's not a complaint.

it will take me 30 days to get the latest CHD's now that someone in their infinite wisdom cut them up in 300 pieces while at the same time put restrictions on the MEGA download section.

Forums  ›  Romz  ›  InSearchOf