Forums  ›  RetroRoms  ›  Feedback

Can't download,being repeatedly asked to login

I tried to download some hbmame rom today ,but when click the link , I was repeatedly asked to enter my username and password,nothing more happened, and no download started.

a week ago everything went fine.

Is there a problem about my account ,or something else?

Thanks.

have you downloaded more than 100 files ? -> thats the Limit for "free" users. Wait a day and you can download again ....

No. That was the first download today. I tried again just now ,seemingly everything is back to normal

have you downloaded more than 100 files ? -> thats the Limit for "free" users. Wait a day and you can download again ....

update: the problem occured again right after my last post

I have one more thing to add: I cannot reach this site directly here in China. So I used proxies. Could this be the reason?

I have one more thing to add: I cannot reach this site directly here in China. So I used proxies. Could this be the reason?

update2:still cant download anything. I tried to register a new account and actived it ,but the new account didn't work frome the very beginning .the problem was the same ,I was asked to enter the username and password repeatedly.

same with me,

could not download. Be asked for credentials every time. Password is vallid and I can login to my account.

Same undecided

update2:still cant download anything. I tried to register a new account and actived it ,but the new account didn't work frome the very beginning .the problem was the same ,I was asked to enter the username and password repeatedly.

update3:I tried to register a new account,and found out something.When I clicked the activation link ,the account was actived.this time I login and everything went well.

But If I logout and login again,the same problem repeated ,no matter how many roms I had downloaded.

Hope this might help somehow.

I have exactly the same problem. I do not go through any proxies.

All 4 people reporting that they can't access the download section had 1 post.

just joined today and can't download anything.

how are you supposed to download files ? i am clicking on mame 0.183 - 0.184 updates and expecting it to download. is this right or do you need to do something else ?

Team.

First comment - The 100 files thing is not "TODAY".... it is in the last 24 hours. If you cannot download - try again in 24 hours. Sorry, but there is no way of producing a counter you can see, otherwise I would do that.

Next: Someone mentioned they cannot get in from China. Sorry to be blunt, but china has a fairly high number of infected hosts. If I look at my traffic logs from China, 99.9% of it is all attack traffic which has impeded our ability to provide a service to the rest of the world. So. I turned off China and a couple of other countries as well.

Last: I see some people using some weird ass software that is doing some weird shit in the BDA. Web requests are being sent with invalid stuff in there, that is not RFC compliant. In the last 24 hours, I can see the following users.

retromania55b

retromania55

retromania55a

buggervance

michael

bidibulle

So. First things first. Retromania55. If you think its smart to have three user accounts to get stuff for free, might I suggest that this is not a smart thing to do. To the other three users - Please contact me directly out of the forums to tell me a bit about what software you are using... Something looks weird there for you.

Lets now look at the rest:

• ianlfc67 - You have downloaded 422 files in the last four and a bit days.
  • pablopelos2 ... Your downloads are working fine - I can see them in the log file just fine. I can see no rejected requests from your IP address.
  • zalica - I can see you used the wrong password thirty nine thousand, five hundred and eighteen files in the last four and a bit days... but you used a valid password for two files you downloaded successfully...

I could go on... but lets keep it simple. If you're having problems, join our IRC channel and have a chat there - Share your IP address and we can look at whatever issues you may be facing.

CZ

UPDATE: I spoke to Zalica in chat - There were no problems found on retroroms - but he thinks that there may have been something wrong with the proxy server he is using.

CZ

I also did some tests later.

So far I guess another possible reason maybe firefofx(at least for me)

there is a function called pipelining in firefox, on default setting ,the browser can establish around 8 connections to a server ,and stupidly I modified the number to a quite larger number. So I guess this is the reason I had THAT much download number  with wrong password.

If anyone using firefox has the same problem,I suggest you reset the pipelining configuration,or change a browser ,that might help.

update: I used a lightweight browser called  qupzilla ,used proxy,and the download is normal so far. 

Has the same problem, only download 1 file and appear the message about the login

I too, cannot download any files it keeps asking me for user ID, then says that my browser is running something!

Does it keep asking your user ID and password after you entered it?

yes and then won't accept my input. what do I do?

can't download roms

keeps asking for userid and password when attemping to do so.

have not downloaded anything for a while and have not gone over 100 downloads in a 24 hour period.

using firefox 52.3, opera 12 and IE7 with the same results

I just had a similar thing happen; I exceeded the download limit after having downloaded 12 files that are part of a CHD.
It's my only download on the BDA in days.

Is there a size limit per 24 hours, too?

there are restriction in the amount of files downloads not the size. The hole situation is more complicated that we have on the OS level also some restriction with firewall/security rules.

So if you think everything is okey on your side, you have not exceeded the amount of files and you are not located in a country like CHINA:

czokie can check the log-file when you are providing details (access time, username). Send him a PM. please respect that it takes some time as he is a very busy man :-)

I just tried again and downloads start now.
Just weird that it was only after 12 downloads that I exceeded the limit the other day.

Having the same issue myself.

<EDIT>

I do wonder if it was the result of me using a separate download app.  I click a link, go to download it, send it to my downloading app, and each attempt counts as two.

I only tested this without membership, haven't tested recently/with membership because I don't want to get blocked again, so this is what I believe according to my testing for free accounts:

There is a hard limit on connections you can make to the download server at the same time(maybe around 4), if you pass the limit you get blocked. Also I'm sure that one of these 2 is true a) when you get blocked you can't even visit the site or the block resets. b) The block lasts more than 24 hours by itself.

My solution was to use chrono download manager (a chrome extension) and limit it to 1 concurrent download and 1 download per server. The newest version works great but the old the extension used to open a connection to the server to get the file size for each file, so if I added 10 files at once, 10 of those connections would open and I would get blocked. I had to add files 1 by 1 to wait for the size to be read, wait 1 second add the next file.

The problem with download managers is that they often use multiple connections for 1 file by default and some of them read the file size before downloading (opening several connections at the same time like the old chrono did).

I always thought that there should be more transparency, like letting people know about the concurrent connections limit and add meters so one can know how many files have the account already downloaded, but I understand this could be used to try to circumvent the limits, so it becomes a hard choice and because of that I'm fine with whatever they decide.

Is there also a limit/restriction for people that doesn't have posts? Not bad if there is, just want to know out of curiosity.

I think we should be glad there are 1 posters and welcome them, that's how communities grow after all.

I only tested this without membership

I'm curious how you tested this without a membership because the BDA requires a login.

I think we should be glad there are 1 posters and welcome them, that's how communities grow after all.

If you take a look around you'll notice that most 1-posters either complain they can't download something for free or they request stuff that's already in the BDA.
In some cases the roms/samples they request are in the top post of the thread they make the request in. And that repeats every single month.

Most of the times when you provide them with the solution they don't even bother to reply.

You need a registered account here and with that you have the "basic membership" included for downloading files.

There are some restriction but only on how many files you can download in a certain time.

Please check your account -> membership -> allowed action

It has no dependency with the amount of posts you have in the forums.

That comes from the websoftware. If you need a bigger amount of files -> you can buy for a view $ an extra membership. Please keep in mind that we are NOT making money with this private website, it helps us only a little to cover the cost for this hardware/software/lines!

On the operation-system of this webserver is additional security enabled, like blocking access people from "dangerous countries" (sorry for that). This system is dynamic, means also when you are trying to download more files at once it will blocks you for a certain time (24h).

If you are using webtools for downloading files -> please check that only 1 connection is opened. Our webserver is not increasing the download speed on your side when you are trying to download with 10 connection ........grrrrrr

Oh man, this 100 file limit per day is a nightmare on CHD files... 2 days to download one game.... and it's still not complete...

Tried clicking on the Upgrade Membership button and it does squat....

I respect bandwidth n all, but over 300 20meg files for one CHD is a little bit of a pisser....

You guys have always been at the top of the MAME scene, and as you know, I've been around here for years...

Even designed your logo lol (yep that's my work)

You are about the only working source for roms and chd's nowdays unless you want to use trackers and torrents...

which is sometimes impossible to do for a lot of people due to ISP blocks.

Bit of a grumble but your still here, and that says a lot :)

Respect

ZX81v2

Hey ZX.

Thought I'd share with you the math and the logic that went into this. Some of the numbers below happened a long time ago and the details may not be 100% accurate, but let me share the logic anyway.

When implementing the current system - we looked at all those people that downloaded, and sorted the number of files per day they were pulling down. I can't remember the exact # - but lets say 80% of people pulled down on average less than 100 files, And lets say the next group was 85% pulled down less than whatever the next limit is.

Now CHD's are a little unusual. Yes, they are split. But back in the day - we had a simple problem to solve. The internet was not reliable. And to be honest, it still isn't. But, it is becoming cheaper and faster. In the past, to get a CHD often had one or more bad downloaded components. If it were not split, that was way too big for many people. But that has changed. If we assume the internet has got faster, I think a good compromise would be to make the split CHD chunk size larger... That will reduce the # of files required, and still allow people to re-try chunks if required. It will require re-processing all of the current CHD's... but it might be a good solution.

CZ

Thanks Czokie, wasn't no criticism, your still the best MAME site out there :)

Okay... BDA is now telling me I can't login, like the above posts... Not downloaded in a few days and it's telling me I've used my 100 files limit still...Come back in 24...

Wouldn't mind but I only have 5 files left on a CHD download...

Any idea what's going on Czokie ?

Hi team

Just tested after subscribing for 365 days and not allowed to download roms

I validated my email so I don't know the reason I'm blocked

I'm using Chrome btw

Thanks for this magic site :)

Wow. The zoke came in. I'm so glad I don't fuss with CHDs. Carry on......

To download I use Jdownloader, if I understand correctly, the site also records the scan of the roms as a download? In fact it gave me the above problem after scanning 100 roms.

See #7 at https://www.retroroms.info/forum/topic/Downloads.htm

The scan Jdownloader does counts towards your limit.

Unfortunately, I am a Chinese VPN login user. I can understand how serious the Internet attack is and it happens at any time.

I'm just a simple little player. I'm having trouble downloading. I hope someone can help me. I need NEOGEO Zip and 238-pg1 p1/sp1-u2(neogeo)/sp1-u4. bin(neogeo)/sp1-u3. bin(neogeo)/sp1-j3. bin(neogeo)/uni-bios_ 4_ 0.rom(neogeo)/uni-bios_ 3_ 3.rom(neogeo)/uni-bios_ 3_ 2.rom(neogeo)/uni-bios_ 3_ 1.rom(neogeo)/uni-bios_ 3_ 0.rom(neogeo)

Thanks for the Internet!!!

20220501215019.png82.6K5 views
Forums  ›  RetroRoms  ›  Feedback