Forums  ›  Emulators: Mame  ›  General

Accessing DIP Switches crashes MAME

I'm new to the MAME scene. I tried playing some games I downloaded, and they work fine. But every time I try to select the DIP Switches, MAME crashes on me. It kicks me out, and then I get a notification on the bottom-right corner of the desktop that says "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Is there something wrong with the config, or do I have to ditch my decade-old computer?

Help a noob out, will ya?

You should only mess with the dip switch setting  if you know what it is for. For some of the older arcade games the dip switches were game operation like free play, number of lives or coins need to play or difficulty level. If you don't know it for chances are is the emulator dosn't know how to handle it and crashes. hope this helps.

Okay, so now when I select the DIP switches of Fax, which I downloaded from the official MAME website, it's perfectly fine. But when I tried to select the DIP switches from some of the games I downloaded from here, it immediately crashes. Is there any way to access the DIP switches from the command line?

Please can you tell one of the games that are crashing your mame?

Mo matter where you downloaded the roms. The roms from Retroroms work perfectly.

Retro Danuart Youtube

Well, the ones I played were Berzerk, Sinistar and I'm Sorry. All three of them crashed the moment I selected "DIP Switches". I found out later in each individual game's input that some of these games have a "service mode" feature programmed in the game accessible by a single button. Last time I checked, that's where the DIP switches are. So should I go into service mode first, and then select the DIP switches from the Tab menu?

Accessed Dip for those games and everything is fine with the latest mameui 192. I suppose it's a problem with the video card of your computer. However, try to test it in another computer.

Another question: Does the crash happen when you enter dip switches, or when you launch the internal ui pressing tab?

Retro Danuart Youtube

When I hover over "DIP Switches", it's fine. But when I actually click on it, that's when it immediately crashes

Pic related

CrashReport.jpg202.5K5 views

Try Changing the video mode between GDI, Direct3d or OpenGL.

Retro Danuart Youtube

I've been using OpenGL the whole time. My computer's too old and crappy to use Direct3D, as it requires DirectX 9. GDI made the games stutter a lot

Think it's time to give your computer a good retirement :)

Retro Danuart Youtube